Saturday, October 28, 2006

If the CD is dead resurrect it!

I was reading the drudgereport this morning and saw this article saying that an EMI executive said that the CD was dead.

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/story.aspx?siteid=mktw&guid=%7BBA27DA69-B92A-473A-AF46-0CBE9DFA59EE%7D

I know that I always have my little conspiracy theories, but I just don't trust "The Man" to say what it really means. I believe that the reason that record executives are so excited about the demise of the CD is that they can control the content more easily. I have only downloaded maybe 10 items from the internet and dealing with the digital rights management crap is a pain in the rear. I'm not boot legging this stuff and making a killing in China, but if anything goes wrong in the transfer to my MP3, it's annoying to have to re-register and do all the other junk you have to do. If I copy the music off a CD, I don't have to deal with that crap. I can put the music on all my players, no one needs to know, and I don't have to worry if I mess something up will I have to work for 3 days to be able to listen to the music again.

On a less cynical note, I enjoy buying a CD for the fact that I won't know every song. Some of the best songs are b-sides and often some of best music is unpromoted because execs think that the public can't handle it. I think of Genesis on this one. Genesis's best music has never been played on the radio. If I hadn't bought the CD, I wouldn't know it existed.

No comments: