Sunday, August 06, 2006

The Gym

Saturday I joined a gym. Now, a long time ago circa 15 years ago, I was in pretty good shape; I could run 3 or 4 miles and not think too much of it. Now....I can run 3 or 4 steps and not think too much of it. I am 90 POUNDS heavier than I was 15 years ago and my muscles have atrophied so much, I'm a skinny wimp trapped in a fat man's body. Joining the gym is my attempt at fixing that.
The first thing I notice is no matter how much I could lift before, I can't lift any where near those amounts. That is kind of depressing. It's kind of like picking up my guitar after a month or so of not practicing.
The second thing (which I hope will remain true), watching other people work hard inspires me to work hard. I got to walk faster and longer than I normally would because that guy next to me has been running and has been doing even before I got on the treadmill.
The third thing related to number 1 and number 2, there were a few times, I said to myself "Please God, let me be able to lift more than my wife!"

3 comments:

Jody said...

I always wonder if people pay attention to what I'm doing in the gym, and I get self-conscious, but then I realize I am not all that interested in what other people are doing when they work out unless it is totally distracting or something, and then I have to assume that I'm not that interesting to other people when they work out...

Patrick said...

When you're in cardio mode, nothing beats a good puzzle game to make you forget how hard you've worked.

Jill said...

Just so you know. I always do a mental check around the gym when I walk in. Sadly enough I always look around to see who is bigger than me and who is just so skinny, I would slap them if I had to stand next to them.

At a conference this week I was in the fitness room sweating away 3 miles on the treadmill when the most prissy guy came in. He would do 5 reps of something then walk around for 4-5 minutes looking at himself in the mirror. I may look like an out-of-shape sweating woman, but at least I am not prissy!!!