Monday, July 17, 2006

Motorcycles are coooool!



Let's face it: everyone knows that motorcycles are cool, but not everyone knows how cool. There are several things that only someone who rides one can now about.

1. You smell more on a motorcycle. Yes, you probably do smell worse after riding on a motorcycle, but you smell more of the world around you. Every restaurant you pass, you can smell the individual odors of the cuisine served at each restaurant. When passing by flowers or woods, you can smell the scents of the buds and pollens. You realize that the scents of your community change more than you'd think.

2. The ride is more of an experience. Frankly, you're a little scared that you're not going to have face when you reach your destination, so your much more focused on your driving. This can be such a stress release because you don't have time to worry about work or whatever. It clears your head.

3. The gas mileage is amazing. I have a small motorcycle, so I get at least 75 mpg. I have got about 100 mpg when I was learning to ride and riding like a granny. You also get the moral high ground in any environmental debate, unlike the SUV driving, bonfire for global warming crowd.

4. It's like a fraternity. Everyone is friendlier on a motorcycle. Expect to be waved at while riding. I have even had 1 percenters admire my baby bike.

5. People are jealous of you. If you don't ride, admit it. You are. Pre-teen boys everywhere think that you are a god!

6. You get to dress up like an astronaut! Think of the fun you can have with the biker clothes that you couldn't have otherwise.

5 comments:

Jamie said...

I want a bike sooooo badly.

I admit it. I'm jealous.

Patrick said...

So what's a good starter bike? (not that I'm in the market... as far as Lydia knows...)

Emmitt said...

I have a Yamaha Virago 250 which is basically the same as Honda Rebel or a Suzuki GZ250. It is a baby bike and doesn't really go that fast or have that much pickup. I'm happy though. The fastest I have ever gone is 85 mph by accident going downhill. Usually I can open up the trottle all the way on the Interstate and cruise at 75 and worry about tickets when the speed limit is 70. Most people would suggest buying the next step up like a Honda Shadow or Yamah V-Star size bike. The bigger you buy though the slightly harder they are to ride and if you buy too big of a bike, the gas mileage can be as bad as a car. The bike in the picture is a gas guzzler, but looks cool.

Jody said...

I saw the RADDEST bike downtown last weekend. I can't tell you the style or make, but it was blue and orange!!! Go Boise State!

What's NOT cool: Grown men perched on baby blue Vespas.

Jackson said...

Yeah, they are cool.

I have had a Sportster for a little over a month. I have put 1200 miles on it riding it back and forth to work (and everywhere else I can go).

Over the weekend my wife and I rode from East Nashville to dinner in Green Hills. It was a ton of fun.

The only downside for me is that I don't know other people with bikes.